Aloe polyphylla also commonly known as the Spiral Aloe.
The Aloe polyphylla is a Surreal Succulents favourite, it has fantastic growth patterns and can withstand temperatures well below freezing. Making it a perfect outdoor all-year-round UK succulent.
The Aloe polyphylla is native to the Maluti mountains of Lesotho which is an area rich in minerals and high levels of winter snowfall, it is also the national plant of Lesotho.
The Aloe polyphylla breaks all the usual rules for keeping succulents. They are an incredibly thirsty and hungry plant that benefits from extra feeding and watering during the growing season. They respond by appreciating air to the root system and not drowning in water. This will cause their roots to rot, slowing down growth rates. To achieve a growing medium that will encourage root development, we use standard multipurpose compost at 55% then we add 35% of perlite and a further 10% grit to the mix. We also add a natural feed e.g. chicken muck.
As the Aloe grows, the bottom leaves of the Aloe polyphylla naturally dry out and die back. This process encourages new roots to develop, old leaves can be removed carefully by hand. When planting this succulent, it will benefit from being planted on a hump or mound. Angling the Aloe will encourage the water to run away from the leaves and to the root system.
- To appreciate its beautiful growth form, angle the Aloe in the garden or pot and admire the beautiful spiralling crown.
- One of the most unusual features of this Aloe is the fact that it can survive and thrive in temperatures well below freezing.
- This succulent has impressive growth rates when happy.
- The Aloe polyphylla is a hungry, thirsty plant and best kept outdoors.
- The perfect UK outdoor succulent, hardy to -15°C (on mature specimens).
- Plant in full sun on a mound and at an angle.
- Use a free-draining soil mix and add a natural feed.
For more information view our product page. The Aloe polyphylla is incredibly popular so we can’t guarantee it will always be in stock. Sign-up to our newsletter to be kept up to date when products come back into stock.